Monday, October 13, 2008

6 random things about me - I've been tagged!

My friend Rachel tagged me.  How exciting.  The first time I have been tagged.  So, here we go.

1.  I have a really bad memory.  I love to read but forget the plots and details about books very soon after I read them.  I often don't even remember if I've read the book period.  Reading is like an escape for me.  I do it to get away from my real life of diaper, dishes, and dirty clothes.  I'm not reading to write a book report or discuss it.  

2.  I had 4 different jobs while I was at BYU.  My first job was at the Cannon Center, the cafeteria for Helaman Halls.  I served food and then cleaned up.  My least glamorous job ever.  Then I worked as a janitor at the HFAC (Harris Fine Arts Center).  Vacuumed,  emptied trash cans, cleaned chalk boards, dusted.  At least I didn't have to do bathrooms.  This job also began at 4:30 AM and went until 7:30 AM.  Second least glamorous job ever.  Then I got a job as a teacher's aide in an elementary school in Provo (can't for the life of me remember the name of the school, darn memory).  I worked in the special ed room and had kids of my own that I taught.  I even had my name on a plaque outside the door.  Pretty cool for a kid still in college.  A lot of the kids there spoke Spanish as their first language.  My most memorable moment was when one little boy told me "Miss Harvey, you drive a cool car, man."  Imagine that said with a spanish accent.  My maiden name was Hardy and I drove a Saturn.  My last job was for the telefund.  I got to call alumni and ask them for money.  It was actually a really fun job and we had the best boss who would take us to Wendy's for Frostys if we met our goal that night.  I even got promoted to assistant supervisor!  Which meant I got to listen into other people's calls and tell them what they were doing right and wrong.  So, now when I get those calls as a BYU alumni, I always pledge.

3.  I don't have a lot of simple addition and subtraction math facts memorized.  Like 6 + 8, hmm, I'd have to think about it.  In elementary school I was taught to imagine dots on the numbers and then count them to add or subtract.  We were never required to memorize.  So, I am a 29 year old who doesn't know what 6 + 8 is without imagining it in my head with dots on it and counting them up.

4.  I bought a car before my sophomore year at BYU with the help of my parents.  It was that cool Saturn I talked about before.  The funny thing is that it was a manual transmission, and I had no idea how to drive a stick.  Isn't that a great idea, to buy a car you don't know how to drive?  I think my parents have some great video of me learning.

5.  I got married when I was ....... 19!  

6.  For the past year, I have been craving anything with pumpkin in it.  It all started when Caleb was born.  My friend Rachel brought me some pumpkin bread with chocolate chips.  I ate 3/4 of the loaf.  My mom, while she was staying with us when Caleb was born, made pumpkin cheesecake.  Since then, about once a month I've got to make something with pumpkin, whether its bread, cookies, or bars.  Man, I love it.  

Okay, now is the part where I'm supposed to tag other people.  Seeing that I've been blogging for like 1 month, and I think 3 people read my blog, this might be interesting.  Here it goes, Libby, Amy Simiskey, Amy Fish, Janna, Tracy, and Kara.

We'll see how that goes.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That was so fun to read! I LOVED learning such very random things about you. Your Saturn sounds really cool. And I can't believe you had one of those early morning cleaning jobs on campus. I could never wake up that early. Was that after you were married? I guess if you were already married you weren't living with crazy roommates and staying up late, then it might have been a bit easier to be at work by 4:30. But really, that is so early. As for the pumpkin love, I had no idea. Thanks for giving me credit for starting it! I just found a recipe for these pumpkin whoopie cookies that got like 5 stars. If I ever get around to making them, I will have to bring some by.

Thanks for playing along!

Marlise said...

I loved getting to learn more things about you through that. See, there ARE good things about getting tagged! :)

Erin & Danny said...

Ok, I tell Danny all the time that the reason I am so slow at math is because I never memorized anything. I learned the dot system too and here I am ...28 and still doing it in my head. Glad I am not the only one. Go St. Louis public schools!!!!

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing your randomness. I cleaned my aunt and uncles offices on the weekend all through high school. It was better than babysitting- paid better. Beth

Katy said...

I loved reading these! I never knew you had simple addition issues... through all those years of geometry, algebra, calc... remember when our Calc teacher's husband passed away and we had a substitute forever? I can't believe we got college credit for that!

I would love to grab coffee and reminisce sometime!