Thursday, October 23, 2008
The Worst Pumpkin Patch Trip Ever
On the Wednesday following our fun family trip on Saturday, Maya's preschool class took a field trip to a pumpkin patch. We had just been, but I thought, you can't get enough of the pumpkin patch, right? This isn't a load the yellow school bus kind of field trip. Parents are the transportation. So, Haley was off-track and I loaded up all 3 kids and we drove 1 hour north to this farm/pumpkin patch. I knew it was going to be cold before we went, but it was also going to be sunny, and that helps a lot. I had to go to Target the night before to get Caleb a hat and gloves. So we get there and it isn't just cold (about 35 degrees) it is WINDY. Like blow your 3 year old over windy. Plus, we were told to be there at 9:30 AM. I was there right on time, only to discover that we were told to be there at 9:30 to give time for all the late folks to get there by 10:00. So we stood outside waiting for 30 minutes before we got started. Why do I have to suffer for being responsible? Then we piled into some sort of tractor garage and an employee told us about the things they grow on the farm. Then we jumped on a wagon/tractor ride to the pumpkin patch. Now, I don't think there were actually any pumpkins in the patch. Just small gourds. So we all picked out a greenish, bumpy gourd and then got back on the wagon. Mind you all this time the wind is blowing us over and blowing dirt in our eyes. And Caleb literally cried from the minute we exited the car. He was miserable. We were then on our way to the farm/play area. They had some animals to see and kid activities. We scarfed down some animal crackers that actually quieted Caleb down, but then Haley started crying about being cold. We glanced at the animals on our way out. I load the kids in the car and realize I have forgotten our wagon back at where we got on the big wagon/tractor. So, a friend watches the kids while I run back and find that the wagon is gone. I find an employee and she tells me they moved it over to the farm/play area so we would have it when we got off the wagon/tractor! Thanks for telling me! Now I have to go back there, grab the wagon and then go all the way back to the car. Despite the frigid weather, I was sweating when I got back. I brought the camera but never had a second to take a picture. All my time was spent holding a bawling 1 year old and wiping his nose with my gloves because my kleenex blew away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So sorry that you had such a terrible experience. If Sam's work offers the discount tickets again next year, we should plan to go together. It really is a fun place, if the weather cooperates!
Post a Comment