Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A first time for everything

Yesterday Maya complained to me that her stomach hurt.  I wasn't really concerned because she usually tells me that 10 times a day.  Later it moved on to, "I'm going to throw up."  We spent some time at the toilet and got out the throw up bowl, but no success.  (As an aside - the throw up bowl when I was growing up was an old cool whip tub.  It always grossed me out to read food words on the label when I was sick.  Why, mom?  Why a cool whip tub?)  So, we get in the car to take Haley to gymnastics class.  I DIDN'T BRING THE BOWL.  Do you know where this is going?  Maya falls asleep on the way, we drop Haley off, and then head to a store.  On the way to the store, Maya wakes up and says the dreaded words, "I need to throw up."  I don't have anything to catch it and I am driving.  I grab a baby wipe and tell her to try to throw up in that.  Ha!  So, she covers herself and her seat and the floor mat in front of her.  We drive home where I have 30 minutes to clean the car and Maya before we have to go back and get Haley.  I put Caleb in his crib with toys and took Maya's clothes off her and sat her in an empty tub.  (After I cleaned the car, I came back and bathed her).  I put Maya's clothes and the car seat cover in the washing machine and then went out to the car.  I threw away the floor mat, scrubbed her seat, car seat, and the carpet.  I thought I did a good job until we picked up Haley and she said, "What stinks?"

8 comments:

Beth said...

Isn't that the way it is- I'm impressed with the 30 minute clean up! I like the quick thinking of throwing away the car mat. I hope it was just the 24 hour bug and she's back to normal.

Catherine said...

Oh my goodness! Bless your stinkin' heart! Next time you are welcome to call me and I'll pick up Haley - but I won't clean your car... I'd probably throw up in it and make it worse.
Poor Maya!

The Millers said...

So sorry. You and Cay can now commiserate together about throw up in the car. Sounds really awful.

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

Yes, very good quick thinking with the car mat :) When we have accidents I sometimes throw away everything it has touched. Some things are just not worth the effort of saving!

Hard to throw away an entire car, though..... :)

GregandAmyFish said...

That is just plain sweet. Sometimes I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing when we look back on these things they seem almost humorous. Otherwise we would all be in the nut house by now!

Liza Jane said...

Oh no! Glad I haven't experienced that yet. We used to have a Cool Whip tub as our barf bucket, but we loved it because it meant we were "cool".