Monday, June 8, 2009

Tornado!

Mike took this picture from our back patio yesterday.  The girls and I were still at church.  Mike had taken Caleb home early because he was sick and super crabby.  During class, we were interrupted and told to go to the gym because the tornado sirens were going off.  Now, growing up in Missouri, the tornado sirens went off all the time and we never saw any action near our house.  But, sitting in the church, you could hear the golf ball size hail just slamming into the roof.  Mike called from home and said he saw a funnel cloud (picture).  Poor Maya was freaked out and spend most of the time bawling.  We only sat in the gym for about 10 minutes and then we were told the tornado warning had expired and we could leave or wait out the hail.  I ran out in the hail to get the van and took the girls home.  Maya screamed like I was running back into a burning building.  Man, that hail hurt!  I got the girls home and the storm calmed down after that.  I thought the van was okay, but upon further inspection, I have quite a bit of hail damage.  I am taking the van in on Thursday, we'll see how much this costs to fix.  A tornado did touch down in a mall a mile or so from the church and caused quite a bit of damage.  Mike and I agreed we would much rather call the car insurance company about hail damage than the home insurance company about roof or window damage!  

4 comments:

Turbo said...

Sheesh! I am glad you are all OK. Who knew you would have to go to Colorado to get some real tornado action? Sorry about the van...Cool picture though:)

simon and amy said...

Weird - This just happened in our town - it was crazy - I've never seen hail like that before. It was when we were leaving church too. The good news is - we are getting all new siding and a new roof (we needed to replace the roof anyway) and we didn't even think the house looked bad - Hope everything goes just as well with your insurance company and with your repairs. - Amy

Christie & Roger said...

Scary! I've never been that close to an actual tornado!

Nannette said...

That is scary! Can't believe you got it in a picture...is it normal to have tornados in Colorado?